Friday, April 9, 2010

"Food Rules - an eaters manual" by Michael Pollan

Over the course of the last two to three months I have been trying to encourage better eating in my household. It's slowly coming along, but with only myself on board it is really difficult to turn it into a habit when every other day the family goes back to watching television during dinner or piling their plate when they should think with their stomach and not with their eyes.

Yesterday, I wandered through the cook book section at Chapters thinking about how much fun it would be to get some new ideas instead of thinking of my own. (You've got to do your research). And how I came across this book I can't even remember. But I picked it up and began reading random pages and it was an answer to my prayers. I finished it last night and it has given me the motivation to continue with my work and to encourage people to become conscious with how they are eating.

(Starting with my family of course)

Michael Pollan simplifies how we should eat. In fact, he's trying to remind us how we used to eat through the centuries. Today people are given these complicated terms like "Carbohydrates", "Omega-6", and so on and begin to look through the food.

Eating shouldn't be complicated and definitely shouldn't be a chore. We should enjoy eating together and savor what goes in to our mouths. If you want to learn how to do it, then I recommend reading this book. It's definitely an eye opener and will certainly make you more conscious during your meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment